The Government of Andhra made 'Andhra State Pharmacy Council Rules,1955' by G.O.Ms.1021, Director of Medical Health Services, Sultanbazar, Hyderabad, Dated 9th July 1955 in accordance with powers u/s 46 of The Pharmacy Act,1948. Subsequently it came into existence by G.O.Ms.2073, Health, Dated 15th July 1963 as Andhra Pradesh Pharmacy Council Rules, 1955.
The Government of Andhra vide G.O.Ms.No.1891, Health dated 8th December 1955 vide powers u/s 33A (4) of The Pharmacy Act, 1948 directed the Registrar Madras Pharmacy Council to prepare First register. It was published in the year 1956 with a list of 236 Pharmacists who were practicing pharmacy in the state of Andhra. Presently the registration of pharmacists is around 1,19,700.
Andhra Pradesh Pharmacy Council was formed on 19 March 1959. Due to many constraints elections for every 5 years to Pharmacy council were not conducted regularly. Though elections were held in 2003 and 2010 for the election of 6 members from registered pharmacists, this Council has no legally and validly elected Council body or President.
Now the Council is functioning under In-charge President, Director General, Drugs & Copyrights, Drugs Control Administration, Government of Andhra Pradesh with a Regular Registrar, 3 Regular Jr.Assistants and 9 out-sourcing staff.
Registration and Renewal Fees were fixed under Andhra State Pharmacy Council Rules, 1955 which are very meager to maintain and conduct elections regularly. Thereafter the State Government enhanced fees in certain cases.
Initially the office started functioning in the premises of Director of Medical Health Services, Sultanbazar, Hyderabad later in the premises of Drugs Control Bhavan in Vengalrao Nagar, Hyderabad, there after in 21st Century Complex Nampally, Hyderabad. The Office is shifted to Guntur on 21st December 2016 and Council is functioning in building located in D.No. 25-16-116/1B, Behind Gowthams Hero Show Room, Chuttugunta, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh.